2013-04-19

SU-MAN HSU TWENTY7EVEN






INTERVIEW: SU-MAN HSU    twenty7even

  • JANUARY 16, 2013
  •   
Interview: Su-Man Hsu

INTERVIEW: SU-MAN HSU

Su-man Hsu is one of London’s hidden gems. She is a former dancer and an expert in shiatsu, Pilates and facial massage: and has combined her knowledge to come up with her own signature facial technique. Dubbed as a ‘non-invasive alternative to Botox’, Su-man aims to reawaken the skin through massage. Each stroke is repeated 36 times in accordance with ancient Chinese beliefs, leaving skin thoroughly exercised, plump and glowing.  When she’s not working from home, Su-man can be found in the W hotel, Soho.
 A life-changing experience - Anne Hathaway
Last week, I asked Su-man a few questions about her signature facial & her best beauty secrets…
What‘s your best beauty secret?
Quite simply – dancing! Sweating releases tension and toxins from your body. Your eyes shine, your skin glows and your soul is lifted. Alternatives would be applying honey all over your face for 30mins each evening to diminish pigmentation. Otherwise have a facial with me!
What wouldn’t you leave home without?
“they are real” mascara from Benefit and Clinique eyeliner  “cream shaper for eyes” Both products enhance my eyes which are not particularly large. I secretly want to have big eyes!
Describe your lifestyle in three words.
Fearless, creative and passionate or if you prefer purifying, energising and nourishing
What makes your signature facial at the W Hotel Spa so unique?
It’s not a pampering superficial experience. I work on the muscles as well as the skin to bring life back into the face. It’s a combination of Asian and western massage techniques and skin philosophies, which I’ve made my own.  My clients often say that I have dancing fingers and they have my undivided attention and focus.  Not one molecule of my energy is elsewhere.
You’re creating a skin care range, please tell us a little more about it?
I would love to tell you everything about it but I’m holding back until the launch later this year. What I can say is that I’ve done everything in my power to recreate my facial experience through the use of my products. It’s taken three years of tinkering, editing changing and throwing away. There will be six products that have been “choreographed” meticulously with two of the best labs in France and Taiwan. I’ve already been testing them on my clients and myself and the results are simply outstanding.  I have definitely not compromised.
Any advice for women with spot-prone skin?
There is no easy fix. There are a multitude of reasons why spots plague our faces from diet, weather, stress, hormone changes and genetic. It’s more about management than getting rid of them. My advice would be don’t over wash your face. This can stimulate more sebum production.  Avoid over exposure to sun.  Reduce dairy and sugar intake. They may not cause spots but they certainly make them worse. An excellent oil for calming spots and reducing scarring is pure Sea Buckthorn fruit oil. My teenage daughter has been using it and it’s made quite a difference.
What is the best thing about living in London?
Different people, different foods, culture and the feeling that there is no right way to dress. You have the freedom to express yourself in so many ways. London for me is the coolest city in the world.  Though I come from abroad I never feel like I’m a foreigner!
For more information or to book an appointment, email su-man@blueyonder.co.uk