2010-11-11

Tried and tested: Su-Man Hsu facial

Matilda Battersby
Su Man Hsu 020 223x300 Tried and tested: Su Man Hsu facial
French actress Juliette Binoche looks fantastic at 46 despite eschewing cosmetic nips and tucks. Her secret weapon, she claims, is regular facials from London-based beautician, Su-Man Hsu (pictured), a lady who combines Shiatsu massage with specially mixed products from her native Taiwan.
Operating from a comfortable hut in the garden of her North London home, Hsu counts other A-listers, including Anne Hathaway, among her clients. Treatments are surprisingly reasonable at £100 for 90 minutes.
Hsu begins by sticking a camera onto my skin and magnifying it to frightening proportions on her laptop. Having looked at my ravaged pores, she decides on a regimen which will work best for my skin type.
For a petit lady, Hsu is extremely strong. She relaxes me by wrestling with the knots in my neck, releasing enough tension to make me slightly delirious. For the next hour the treatment is process of steaming, extraction, bathing, cooling, steaming again and slathering with gentle products.
She ends with a vigorous face massage, leaving me feeling as if my cheekbones had been doing press-ups. The result was gleaming skin. She’d somehow managed to smooth all the stress away. No wonder Binoche travels from Paris to Crouch End to see her.

Email su-man@blueyonder.co.uk for appointments.
Tagged in: